Matawa Education and Care Centre’s Mental Health Program is critical for students to achieve success while attending school here in Thunder Bay. Students have access to in-house counselling and referral services whenever they need it.
We Work Together To Make A Change
what our mental wellness program is all about
Traditional mental health practice in our programming is also imperative to student success. Students regularly participate in sharing circles, traditional ceremonies and even art therapy. Our weekly Wellness Wednesday focusses on bringing in local health and wellness experts from Thunder Bay organizations to teach our students a variety of healthy living topics. Our mental health programming teaches students about balance through medicine wheel teachings and living a good life through grandfather teachings. We share traditional stories from the past to learn how we can walk in a good way for the future. Our Mental Health Workers help students with:
In school counselling, Traditional counselling, Staff training in suicide prevention, Health & Well-being Workshops & Presentations Situation Table Membership (Canadian Mental Health Association), Advocating for full mental health services and supports for our students
a partnership with St.Joseph's Care Group
St. Joseph’s Care Group Partnership
Matawa Education and Care Centre has developed a partnership with St. Joseph’s Care Group. Our Mental Health Worker’s provide student refferals to St. Joseph’s Care Group to get streamlined access into St. Joseph’s Care Group professional services and treatment programs.
- Providing professional student intake assessments on mental Health, alcohol and substance abuse
- Providing after care based on student assessments
- Raising student awareness regarding risks related to alcohol, substances and solvents
- Helping students access additional treatment programs
- Streamlining access to the following health professionals: Psychologist, Family Therapist, Counsellors, Doctor, Nurses, Youth Workers, Therapeutic Recreation